Four buildings on the Jamaica College campus have been declared National Heritage Sites by the Jamaica National Heritage Trust.
The Simms Building
Built in 1885 of masonry and timber, it exhibits a combination of Gothic and Georgian features; the projecting central tower and wings are reminiscent of Georgian designs, while the façade’s soaring verticals, griffins, and pointed arch openings are Gothic. It was originally used as a dormitory for boarders; it now houses the administrative offices, staff room and sixth form classrooms.
The Scotland Building
Erected in 1889 of brick, mortar, and wood, with iron detailing on the balcony railings, it combines a variety of architectural styles including Palladian windows on the west elevation, a lower arcaded wrap around verandah, and a steep-pitched cedar shingled hip roof. It was first used as a dormitory; however it now houses classrooms and the P.T.A. Shoppe.
The Assembly Hall
Constructed in 1913 of concrete block and steel, it is wrapped by an arcaded verandah which helps to keep the interior cool. Its hipped roof of cedar shingles is partially concealed by parapet walls. It was originally used as an assembly hall, however it now houses the school’s top of the line cafeteria, which is operated by the great Jamaican franchise, Mother’s.
Built in 1924 of reinforced concrete and concrete breather block, its north and south elevations have a stepped roof which creates a clerestory level for ventilation and diffused lighting. Its east and west windows are stained glass; the west is said to be a replica of St. Dustan’s window at Canterbury Cathedral in England.