DaCosta House: Orange
This house is named after Granville Monty DaCosta who was President of the Old Boy’s Association for 24 years from 1941 – 1965. Mr. DaCosta was an active member of the School Board and a generous contributor towards the College.
Drax House: Maroon
Drax House is named after the founding father of Jamaica College, Charles Drax an estate owner from Twittenham, England, who came to Jamaica from Barbados and who left funds for he establishment of the school.
Hardie House: Green
The house is named after the fourth principal at Hope Road, Mr. W. A. Hardie. He served as principal from 1942 – 1945.
Murray House: Blue
Murray House is named in honour of Reginald Myrie Murray, third principal of Jamaica College, since it has been at its present location. Mr. Murray served for 8 years from 1933 – 1942.
Chambers House: Yellow
Chambers House is named after the fifth principal and first Old Boy who was principal at the Hope Road location. Mr. Hugo Carl Winston Chambers served for 14 years from 1946 – 1960 and the 10k memorial track event was named in his honour.
Cowper House: Purple
The second principal at the hope Road location was William Cowper, who succeeded Archdeacon Simms and who was principal when the chapel was dedicated in 1924.
Musgrave House: Red
This house is the only house named after a woman. Lady Musgrave, wife of Governor, Sir Anthony Musgrave, who gave generous contributions to the College and opened the buildings at the Hope Road location, on July 9, 1885.
Simms House: Rust
Simms house was named in honor of Archdeacon William Simms who served as principal from 1883 – 1993.